9.04.2011

Post-Grad Life

Now that Zane and I are college graduates (him officially, me in December) we are starting our post-college lives and are quite enjoying the thoughts of no more midterms, research papers, and finals!

Zane doesn't start pilot training until the end of January, so in the meantime the base assigns him what they call a "casual status" job. Basically they just put the lieutenants on random assignments so they are doing at least something for their paychecks. Zane is working in the office that orientates the new flight students with their gear, study materials, etc. He only works about 15 hours a week and is getting a full-time paycheck... lucky him! He's looking into some new hobbies but for now he's been spending a lot of time at the gym and becoming a pro at FIFA soccer (an x-box game).


Here he is on his first day as an active duty airman!

My original plan prior to moving out here was to find a public health internship (necessary for the completion of my degree) and that was all. Well I was very blessed and got an internship at the Santa Rosa County Health Department on my first day of looking. I will be working primarily with the Healthy Start program (a program for pregnant women and new mothers) and the Tobacco Cessation program. I am really excited as I will get a lot of hands on experience with both the health department and the community. It's so fun to finally be putting into action what I have been studying in the classroom.

I also found a part-time nannying job two weeks ago for a 6 year old girl. It's about 20 hours a week and pays pretty well and it's always fun to have some extra spending money.

Other than that I have been getting really involved with the flight student's wives group, made some great friends already, and really enjoying getting to know the area and what it has to offer. We are headed to Birmingham for the Labor Day weekend and are excited to visit the temple there and do some serious shopping.

The Verdict: first major move-- so far, so good.

No comments: